Featured
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
FiiO DM15 AKM Edition Review - The other flavour of the same excellent platform
General/Packaging/Build
I've been sitting on the DM15 R2R for a while now, so when FiiO sent over the AKM variant, I already knew roughly what to expect on the build side, and I wasn't wrong. Same chassis language, same top-loading transparent glass lid where you can watch the disc spin, same solid in-hand feel. To my ears and eyes both, this thing does not feel like a budget portable CD player, it feels like a proper piece of desktop Hi-Fi gear that just happens to be small enough to carry around.
Where it differs from the R2R is under the hood, FiiO swapped out the R2R DAC architecture for a dual AKM AK4493S setup, paired with its own filter and amp stage. Build quality wise though, I honestly can't tell the two apart, same metal-and-glass construction, same reassuring weight, same overall footprint.
Gears Used for This Review
Aune S17 Pro Amp
Burson Conductor Stellar
FiiO DM15 AKM
FiiO DM15 R2R (for direct comparison)
Foreword
My review is solely based on what I hear via my equipment and I never consider my reviews to be objective in any way rather a subjective approach. Do take into consideration that everyone's ear anatomy is not the same, so the psychoacoustics perception might be different as well, but i believe it will not stray too far.
Sound Impression
Straight off the bat, the DM15 AKM is not overly warm to my ears, which honestly surprised me a little given how much I associate AKM chips with a smoother, more relaxed house sound. What I'm hearing instead is a cleaner, slightly more resolving presentation than the R2R sibling, it doesn't lean into that thick, analog-ish flow, it leans more towards precision while still keeping things musical enough that it never turns clinical. After approximately 30-40 hours of burn-in on my rig, the treble settled slightly and sounds more refined, and the overall presentation tightened up a touch further.
Pairing Notes
Hifiman Edition XV: Same as I found with the R2R, the i5 wants a bit more juice than most IEMs to really open up. The AKM's balanced output handles it fine, gives it enough grip in the low end that the headphone doesn't sound like it's struggling, though I still find it performs a notch better with a touch more power on tap.
Spirit Torino Twin Pulse IEM: Plenty of headroom here, the AKM doesn't bleed into the mids at all even with the IEM's more sensitive drivers. I had to be a little more careful with the volume knob compared to the R2R since the AKM variant simply plays louder at the same volume position, something I noticed early into testing and confirmed across multiple sessions.
Fiio JT9: A comfortable, effortless pairing, the JT7's tonality lines up nicely with the AKM's cleaner detail retrieval, vocals stay a few steps in front of me without sounding pushed or thin.
Proton AM452 Integrated Amp -> Tannoy Sixes 602 (Line Out via 3.5mm to RCA): This is where the R2R version pulled ahead for me tonally, it just has that extra bit of organic decay on speakers. The AKM through the same chain sounds tighter and more precise instead, less of that tape-like flow, more definition around each note. Neither is wrong, they're simply two different moods.
Bass
Good extension, doesn't chase that artificially boosted low end some portable units go for just to sound "exciting" out of the box
Noticeably tighter and more controlled than the R2R's take, which leans thicker and more relaxed
Doesn't bleed into the mids at all, separation between sub-bass and mid-bass stays clean even on busier tracks
Kick drums have proper snap rather than just a soft thud
Mids
Vocals sit a few steps in front of me, not shoved into your face, not distant either
Male vocals retain that chesty weight I look for, doesn't thin out under the cleaner presentation
Female vocals keep good texture and upper-mid presence without turning shouty
Compared to the R2R, the AKM gives you the note plus a little more information around its edges, slightly more incisive without losing body
Treble
Clean, extended, and well controlled, doesn't turn splashy even when pushed
More perceived detail retrieval than the R2R, cymbal decay and leading edge are easier to pick out
Not bright to my ears despite the extra resolution, the tuning stays on the safe side of neutral warm
If you're treble sensitive, the R2R remains the gentler pick, the AKM asks a little more attention from you in this region
Soundstage/Imaging
Good width and reasonable depth, doesn't feel boxed in
Imaging is precise with solid left-to-right placement, a step up from the R2R in terms of sharper image boundaries
Not quite a "hall like effect" holographic setup, but very respectable considering this is still a portable CD player with a built-in amp section
Slightly more 2D-ish compared to a proper desktop stack, but that's an unfair bar to hold a unit like this against
Comparison
Vs FiiO DM15 R2R: Build quality and features are identical between the two, this genuinely comes down to DAC flavour. The R2R gives you that beautiful analog-like flow, thicker note weight, and a more relaxed, forgiving tonality, it's the one I reach for when I want to just sink into an album. The AKM, on the other hand, is not overly warm and trades a bit of that organic decay for sharper detail retrieval, tighter bass, and a more precise overall picture, and interestingly it also plays noticeably louder at matched volume steps in my testing. If you want maximum resolution while keeping things smooth, I would personally go for the AKM. If you're chasing that classic warm, musical CD player experience, the R2R still wins that particular fight.
Overall verdict: Between the two DM15 variants, it genuinely comes down to your preference. I don't see one replacing the other, they're two different flavours of the same excellent platform, and I'm happy having both sit on my desk. But if I had to pick just one to recommend to someone undecided, I'd lean towards the AKM for its slightly more versatile, resolving character that still won't fatigue you on longer sessions.
Final Thoughts
Having spent a good amount of time with the DM15 AKM alongside the R2R variant I already reviewed, it's clear FiiO didn't just slap a different DAC chip in and call it a day. The AKM edition carves out its own identity, cleaner, more resolving, not overly warm, while still holding onto enough musicality that it never turns into a clinical listen. Build quality remains just as solid as its sibling, same glass lid, same reassuring chassis, and the feature set, balanced out, USB DAC, CD ripping, aptX Lossless, is every bit as generous. For the asking price, this is a genuinely versatile all-in-one source that happens to also spin CDs, and honestly I think that undersells it a little. Recommended? Yes! Definitely! Whether you go R2R or AKM really depends on which flavour of sound you gravitate towards, but either way you're getting a well built, feature-packed unit that punches well above its price bracket.
A big thanks to FiiO for sending the DM15 AKM Edition over for the purpose of this review. Big thanks to the team for the support and opportunity as always.
Head over to their store if you are interested in getting one:
FiiO Official AliExpress Store — Non Affiliated
Popular Posts
ROSESELSA Aurora Ultra Review - A hybrid to watch out!
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
EPZ G30's Review - Gaming and Music done well
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment